Pivots and lateral moves constitute an alternative solution to traditional gravity immersion with a significant reduction in water requirements (30% to 50%) and better production quality.
There are other advantages related to spray irrigation:
• No need to flatten out the perimeter, which reduces layout costs and enables different crops to be grown from one year to the next within the same perimeter.
• Fertilisers are not leached out, so less pollution, fertirrigation with injection in doser pumps.
• Farming savings, tractor costs avoided (diesel and labour).
• Reduction in immersed spaces to limit the spread of mosquitoes.
• The water added becomes equivalent to the corn crop’s requirements, 4m3/h per ha, over 2 months’ spraying.